One of my best friends Dana, had a son Kylan who had a liver transplant in May of 2004 when he was only 6 years old due to a rare virus. Sadly he waited to long for the liver, and became gravely ill, and did not survive the surgery. Kylan's mom Dana honors her son with a parade float that travels across Michigan informing the public about the vital need for more organ & tissue donors. Dana partners with the Gift of Life of Michigan, and the Donate Life Coalition of Michigan to encourage Michigan residents to sign up on the Michigan Organ Donor Registery. You can see the Make a Difference Float at several parades and events through out Michigan.
Please help! You can register to be an organ donor, it is quick and easy.
I want to sign up to be an organ donor, Click here!
You can click on the Gift Of Life Link at the top of the page and find out an answer to just about any question you may have. If you have already signed up to be a donor, make sure you have the ♥ sticker on the front of your drivers license, the old system of having a sticker with your name on the back is being remodeled. If you need a heart sticker you can get one by clicking the above link that say I want to sign up to be an organ donor!
If you are not in Michigan but still in the United States you can still use the above Michigan links, you will still be registered and receive your ♥ sticker that goes above your photo on the front of your license.
♥ YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE ♥
Did you know?
- Each organ donor can save up to eight lives. Each tissue donor can improve the lives of up to 50 people.
- Nearly 10,000 Michigan patients have received a life-saving organ transplant in the last 10 years.
- Cornea transplants have been successful for over 100 years and organ transplants have worked for more than 50.
- On average, 17 Michigan patients receive an organ transplant each week.
- There is no age limit for donation.
- Donation doesn't cost the donor or the donor's family anything.
- In 2008, a record 327 organ donors provided 922 organs to waiting recipients in Michigan. More than 800 people became tissue donors and 1,199 corneas were transplanted.
Michigan residents waiting for organsIn 2009, the generosity of Michigan organ donors resulted in 862 transplants and saved hundreds of lives. Transplants so far in 2010 total 189. Michigan patients waiting for a transplant as of April 1, 2010.