Friday, September 24, 2010

Homemade fruit & Veggie wash, as seen on Dr. Oz

I was watching Dr. Oz and he was doing an expose' about cleanliness of grocery stores.  Tongue Tied
They had cameras filming people picking over the fresh produce, etc. I realize that I try to find the right green pepper, or tomato or whatever, and do my share of touching the produce. Of course, I wash it well when I get home ( and don't cough on it in the store...ewww) but I thought I'd look for a little extra help.
I found this- it's easy, inexpensive and it works.
Just wanted to mention it.



Do you want to use a fruit and vegetable wash, but are scared off by the price? Here is how to make your own at a fraction of the price:
You will need a spray bottle. Mix 1 cup of water, 1 cup of White Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of baking soda, and 1/2 lemon (squeeze all the juice out).


The reason this works is as follows: The acetic acid in vinegar kills bacteria and helps to dissolve the wax and pesticide residues found on the skins of many fruits and vegetables.

The benefits of making your own fruit and vegetable wash are that it is cheaper than store-bought washes, cleans more effectively than water alone and is all-natural.

As with all cleaning materials store your fruit and vegetable wash out of the reach of children and ALWAYS label the contents of your spray bottles. Too many accidents happen because a bottle is not labelled and contains some poisonous substance or such.
 
http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-home-solution-recipe-to-wash-off-pesticides/

3 comments:

Shani said...

I am going to make this wash but I have a question about storage. Should it be kept in the fridge?

Sarah said...

I've always been a little weary of fruit and veggie washes. I heard they worse for you, as far as the chemicals and what not. This one doesn't sound bad though!
Wearing It On My Sleeves

Michiganmommyx4 said...

I don't keep mine in the fridge Shani, but that is a good question!